Monday, July 19, 2010

Mt. Timpanogos Cave

Last weekend we took the kids and their cousins up American Fork Canyon for an overnight camping trip.

The kids begged us to pull them in the trailer once around the parkinglot. Friday night G'ma Joan and G'pa Bill came up and had dinner with us. Austin came too, originally planning on staying, but after seeing how small our tent was, he went home with the grandparents after dinner.

We didn't have a campsite reserved so we bummed off a 'group' campsite who happened to be the American Fork 3rd Ward. They had a Ward camping party and let our kids play the games and activities that they had for all their kids. Wow, we had a lot of fun!

The next morning Brent dragged us up Mt. Timpanogos! After the awful nights sleep I had with my son rolling over all of us (in addition to my insomnia) I almost opted out of the hike. But after a few short arguments and '5th degrees' (from my loving spouse!) I was conned into going!

We had so much fun though! Mom was a little nervous about the kids falling off the trail. But they did a good job following rules and we made sure to take everything extra S-L-O-W!

Looking over the edge was quite a thrill! We could see the parkinglot down below the whole way up! But closer to the top we could see the Alpine/American Fork Valley. It was cool!

Keala and Marina were our best hikers! They walked slow, didn't complain, drank enough water and did a great job! Big thumbs up Keala!

We stopped to eat snacks and rest as often as we could. Tristan had a hard time with that. He had a goal in mind and he wanted to challenge it! But we dragged him back to our pace and tried to make sure everyone was drinking enough water and staying positive!

Staying positive was a little hard for Kai though~! He had the worst attitude, and dragged his feet complaining the whole way. Those are the odds! One of the kids was bound to be the 'bummer'! This bathroom is right at the top, and says "Last Chance"! We are at the entrance of the cave!

The cave was beautiful and a cool relief from the 100 degree weather outside! We brought up our jackets because they said it was so cold and I was glad we did! The tour was an hour long!

The kids were absolutely enthralled with the inside of the cave and the different rock formations.

Tristan and Marina shared a flashlight and actually stayed with the group for once!

Brent had been so hot from the hike that he never put on his jacket (... so I wore it!)

This rock formation was called the beating heart and is 5 1/2 feet long and weighs about 2 tons they said. They turned off all the lights and had a red light shine behind it in beating patterns.

Our Ranger who guided us through the tour was great with all the kids we had in our group. (I thought MY kids were annoying!) I finally scouled at some kid to stop shining his flashlight in our eyes! Hello! ('Monster Mom' is what they call me!)

Of course my husband thinks he's funny. It was so dark in there I had no idea what I was taking a picture of until after I took it. All my photos of Brent are silly poses... of course!

The walls were so close in some parts I felt like I was walking through a womb! Creepy!

This rock formation was called the 'St Bernard'! So cute! I was really impressed with all the caverns they took us through and the variety of rock variations. Pretty awesome stuff!

On the way out the exit we had a few more pictures. We yelled at Tristan the whole day to take off his stinkin' jacket in the 100 degree heat, but I guess this was his way of being 'COOL'!

The End!

2 comments:

Barney Family said...

Looks like a great time!! Just good preparation for our family reunion!

Ross and Kathy said...

Kind of reminds me of the hike we took to the top of "Half Dome" in Yosemite. Do you remember the mesquitos, Nikki? Ooooo, and the last mile or some coming back to camp.